Friday 2 September 2011

West Coast, U.S. & A

2 days after Graduation, I left to the USA with my family (Mom & Dad, and two younger brothers). I've been to the US a few times before, and I love it. I know it's a little hard to generalize about such a huge country, but every time I go there, whether it be East or West (I've yet to discover Central, give me time!) I always find something new to love.

Over the past few years, we've taken family vacations to the East coast. New York, Maine, Massachusetts, Florida, Baltimore.. Highlights from those trips were staying in Cape Cod, Boston & New York City!

This time, though, we decided to head over and explore the West coast.. We landed in Phoenix, AZ after a 10-hour long flight, before heading out to see the Grand Canyon. :) I've got to say, it is one of the most impressive things I've ever seen in my entire life - if ever you get the opportunity to go, I suggest you take it! You won't regret it. We were lucky enough to do a helicopter ride over it, early in the morning - completely breathtaking, I swear.


After that, we headed to Utah, to see Bryce Canyon & Monument Valley - also, completely breathtaking, yet extremely different from the Grand Canyon. All you see is desert for miles and miles and miles, and then all of a sudden these massive great rocks spring up out of nowhere! It's quite something.


After that, we headed to Las Vegas for a couple of nights - it's like a giant, corrupt version of Disneyland! You'll be walking down the street with thousands of other people in the sweltering heat, staring at the lights and the fountains and the music and the buildings - but you can't go anywhere without being handed a 'Girls to you in less than 20 minutes' flyer. It's terrifying how behind all the glitz and the glam there is a whole subtext of crime & violence. Hm, not sure what I thought, really..

After LV, we went to San Diego for a couple of days. Pretty chilled, and nice weather :) Then, on to LA - it's so huge! I loved Venice. After LA, San Francisco, which is also pretty cool. And after that, our final stop was SEATTLE. I LOVE THIS CITY. It's so pretty, but it's known throughout the US for being really indie & alternative - perfect! :) I had a great time.
All in all, it was a great trip - definitely one to remember. Where have you been on vacation recently?

1 comment:

  1. The grand canon looks so amazing- i really need to visit there one time!

    ReplyDelete